Clinical (LTC) / Consultant Pharmacist
Guardian Pharmacy of Missouri is part of the Guardian Pharmacy Services network and prides itself on its customer service. Each team member plays an integral part in the success of the pharmacy.
Under the direction of Director, Clinical Services, responsible for evaluating the medication regimens of patients residing in long-term care settings to ensure the provision of optimal medication therapy, improved health outcomes, and facility compliance with Federal and State regulations. This position will start out working 30+ hours per week and will grow to 40, and will cover the St. Louis metro area.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (include the following):
- Evaluates the medication regimen and medical information of residents in LTC facilities ensuring appropriateness of pharmacotherapy, including drug selection, dosage, duration, drug interactions, contraindications, administration, and alignment with current clinical practice guidelines and evidence-based recommendations.
- Makes recommendations for therapy changes and interventions to the physician and facility staff as appropriate.
- Provides therapeutic drug monitoring, chronic disease state management, medication therapy management (MTM), medication regimen reviews (MRR), and patient and caregiver counseling.
- Maintains resident database to include appropriate current and past medical history and medications and appropriate clinical and laboratory data.
- Monitors the compliance of assigned facilities with Federal and State LTC and pharmacy regulations and guidelines and advises interventions.
- Provides clinical expertise by responding to pharmacy and regulatory-related questions and concerns initiated by nursing staff and providers; collaborates with the healthcare team to provide clinical, technical and regulatory support as needed.
- Documents all communication with providers, nurses, other members of the healthcare team and residents and their family members in the medical record.
- Reviews the medical record for all required documentation in accordance with Federal and State regulations and facility and pharmacy policies.
- Produces written reports on findings and recommendations for each monthly visit to facilities and provides report to the Administrator, Director of Nursing, and Medical Director
- Acts as a liaison between the pharmacy and the facility when concerns arise.
- Participates in facility quality assurance and performance improvement committee, antimicrobial stewardship programs and inter/multi-disciplinary teams.
- Develops and conducts provider and nursing educational in-services, educates nursing regarding areas of concern within the facility and assists in supervising/precepting pharmacy externs.
- Implements and oversees facility and pharmacy policies and procedures for the procurement, labeling, storage, distribution, use, and disposal of drugs by the facility; reconciles controlled drugs, as required.
- Enhances clinical knowledge by participating in continuing education through professional publications, workshops, seminars, and professional networking.
- Collaborates with the clinical services team to improve client relations, provision of clinical services, and patient outcomes
- Other essential functions and duties may be assigned as needed
EDUCATION AND/OR CERTIFICATIONS
- BS/PharmD degree in pharmacy
- Missouri Pharmacist License required
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- 2+ years RPh experience, preferably with LTC consulting or clinical geriatric experience
- Board Certification in Geriatrics; or ability to obtain BCGP status within 1 year of hire
- Experience in Chronic Disease State Management, Medication Therapy Management (MTM) or Medication Therapy Services (MTS)
- Good computer skills; including proficient use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and deliver to deadlines
- Ability to solve problems with minimal direction
- Great attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment working on multiple tasks simultaneously, while adhering to strict deadlines
- Quality minded; motivated to seek out errors and inquire when something appears inaccurate