East Tennessee Pharmacy Services is part of the Guardian Pharmacy network and prides itself on its customer service. Each team member plays an integral part in the success of the pharmacy.
Job Objective: Responsible to ensure all prescriptions are filled according to order and regulations accurately and in a timely manner. Includes evaluating the drug regimens of facility’s patients to assure both adequate drug therapy and the guidelines of Federal and State regulations are being met.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensure all prescriptions are filled and dispensed accurately, timely and within budget
- Review physician orders and evaluates for appropriate action, dosage, potential drug interactions, administration and stability.
- Verify the legality and pharmaceutical feasibility of dispensing a drug based on patients’ allergies, incompatibilities with current medications, frequency of refills, etc.
- Interpret prescription orders, to include exercising professional judgment in determining whether to dispense a particular prescription
- Accurately prepare medications for final dispensing to the patient, including filling, order entry, and packaging
- Review orders filled to ensure prescription was filled correctly
- Supervise and or Compound IV’s as needed.
- On exception items, look up most cost effective product to make med recommendations for therapy changes
- Complete Initial or Interim Drug Regiment Reviews (DRR’s) on required patients.
- Report all med errors following protocol
- Give price quotes to facilities for med review
- Work closely with customer/facility/inventory if product is out of stock or unavailable and communicate when / if the order can be filled
- Support Data Entry techs in finding answers to their questions
- Call regarding any clinical issues (ie drug interactions, duplicate therapy, drug monitoring levels or labs, serum creatinine, dosing vancomycin or aminoglycosides, etc) Follow protocol to ensure proper follow up is received
- Serve as an information source regarding medication and Federal and State pharmacy regulations.
- Assist in training and supervising pharmacy technicians, interns, and externs.
- Be knowledgeable of expectations of other staff positions (pharmacists, technicians, inventory) and hold the staff accountable for those expectations
- Be knowledgeable of all pharmacy departments and be able to adjust to other areas when needed.
- Work with department supervisor to supervise pharmacy technicians as required and to maximize workflow efficiency. The pharmacist has ultimate responsibility.
- Be knowledgeable of all items on Pharmacist Competency List and follow Policies and Procedures in binder.
- Answer questions from patients, doctors, nurses, etc.
- Evaluate CII inventory levels and place orders when appropriate via CSOS
- Act as a liaison between the pharmacy and the facility when problems need to be resolved, maintaining a high level of customer service
- Ensure pharmacy operation complies with all State and Federal pharmacy law guidelines
- Works closely with operations management team to continually evaluate and improve work processes
- Be available to work all shifts to ensure full understanding of all operational issues. re-allocate resources as necessary to relive bottlenecks in production
- Ensure continual coaching/training/development of all technicians supervised
- Work as communication liaison between executive management team and technician staff on day-to-day tactical operations issues
- Other essential functions and duties may be assigned as needed
Education: Bachelor’s Degree (Pharmacy) or PharmD.
- Tennessee Pharmacist license
- 1+ years of related experience (advanced degree may substitute for experience)
- Advanced computer skills; pharmacy operations system experience preferred/required
- Ability to work independently and deliver to deadlines
- Ability to solve problems with minimal direction
- Great attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment working on multiple tasks simultaneously, while adhering to strict deadlines
- Quality minded; motivated to seek out errors and inquire when something appears inaccurate
Ability to work flexible hours; hours of operation are subject to change based on the needs of the pharmacy
Full-Time employees working 30+ hours per week are eligible to enroll in our comprehensive benefits package, which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life and supplemental life insurance, and PTO.
All employees are eligible to enroll in our company matched 401(k) plan